About Us

The Optic Shop in Abergavenny opened on 17th June 2000, starting from scratch, with a patient base of zero, at that time situated in a corner premises on Cross Street, opposite the Angel Hotel. Jane was 10 years into her Optometry career, keen to create a practice which ran according to her ideals and standards, accompanied by Aimee, who had spent a decade in management and HR, more recently moving into the optical world. With Jane and Aimee at it’s helm, and a total staff of three, the journey began.

In May of 2019, The Optic Shop moved to its present home in St John’s Street – a beautiful red-brick building, but historically a notorious pub and cocktail bar. The intention behind the design of the new practice was to create an opticians that was like none other, a place that reflected the personality and passion of the owners and their dedicated team – somewhere that was a bit more special and certainly different. More recently, there has been the addition of 11 StJohns’ Street, a converted 18th century, previous stone masons’ which offers some additional examination space.

So, to where The Optic Shop is today: 100,000+ examinations performed and a destination for all things eyes. On offer are three fully equipped examination rooms, a pre-examination room, an optical lab, a 1200 spectacle frame and sunglasses display, a comfy fireside waiting area and dispensing zone and 10 welcoming staff to keep it running smoothly. A thoroughly established and trusted Optometric practice at the heart of the Abergavenny community.